Overview of B.A.M.S Course
आयु: कामयमानेन धर्मार्थसुखसाधनम्
आयुर्वेदोपदेशेषु विधेयः परमादरः||
आष्टांग हृदय सूत्रस्थान १ – २
Vagbhata says – The person who wishes to lead a long healthy life that keeps him competent to achieve the four purusharthas – dharma (Righteousness), artha (Money), kama (desires) and moksha (emancipation); should be very vigilant about following the teachings and guidelines of Ayurveda.
“Pediatrics and Child Health” by Mary Rudolph, a top textbook to study child health and care since 1897, published 22nd edition in 2011. This medical textbook has always shown a wholesome approach to children’s health. In the latest edition of this book, Ayurveda finds a mention. This goes to depict that the importance of introduction of Ayurvedic principles in order to maintain good health has been accepted. Across the globe various countries are involving the knowledge of Ayurveda for the betterment of their health and living. With the global recognition of Ayurveda the demand of the knowledge of Ayurveda will see a steady rise. Therefore during the student life of Ayurveda one must make complete use of the time to familiarize oneself with the principles and teachings of Ayurveda to the maximum.
Let us ask a few questions first –
- What does Ayurveda comprise of?
- What is the ideal way to learn and understand Ayurveda?
- What can keep one motivated to study Ayurveda?
- What is the importance of Sutras?
- What is the future of Ayurveda?
Now Let us and try and answer these questions
- कायबालग्रहोर्ध्वाङ्गशल्य दंष्ट्राजरावृषान् ||5||
अष्टावङ्गनि तस्याहुश्र्चिकित्सा येषु संश्रिता |
आष्टांग हृदय| सूत्रस्थान
Kayachikitsa -Internal Medicine, Balachikitsa –Paediatrics, Graha Chikitsa – Psychiatry, Shalakya (Urdhvanga) Chikitsa – ENT (ear, nose, throat and head) and ophthalmology, Shalya Chikitsa – Surgery, Visha (Dranstha) Chikitsa –Toxicology, Rasayana (Jara) – Rejuvenation Therapy, Vajeekarana (Vrishan) – Aphrodisiac treatment.
Concisely, Ayurveda is the study of these eight branches.
- Vyakhyan–Vi + Aa+ Khyan
Vi– vividhaihi prakaraihi (In different ways)
Aa– Shishyabodhotpattaihi (Till the student understands)
Khyan – Varnan (Explanation)
Ayurveda is a whole new world for most students who come to study the course. There are a lot of new concepts to be introduced. The ideal way to familiarize oneself with Ayurveda and to understand the true spirit of it, the student needs explanations, illustrations and interactions with Ayurvedic experts in different ways.
- Motivation to study Ayurveda – The motivation to study any new subject begins with curiosity. A student can continue to be curious about a subject then only he has a good grasp of what he has learnt. If the subject confuses or overburdens the student, the curiosity dies.
Therefore a chance to explore ones understanding of the subject is very important to stay motivated to learn.
- Importance of Sutras – Medical science is a huge compilation of Rules that the human body follows and how it works. The knowledge of these rules is critical for becoming a doctor. Sutras (aphorism) are nothing but thumb rules. They are the product of immense thought given by maharishis. In every sutra lies a key knowledge that can help to understand a physiology or pathology of a disease better. Every sutra is like a perspective to sharpen a doctor’s brain.
- Future of Ayurveda–The Future of Ayurveda in today’s world is vast. The scope and choice to use the knowledge and apply it has expanded dramatically over the years.