Article writing contest for month of March 2018
Topics for article writing contest –
You have the liberty of choosing any one of the topics from the list as mentioned below:
1. Vasant Ritucharya
2. Role & relevance of Medhya Rasayan during exam days
3. Importance of “Agrya” dravyas in clinical practice
4. “Agni Vichar” in metabolic disorders like obesity & diabetes
Rewards for participating in the Article Writing Competition: Cash rewards will be for 3 winners
- 1st prize winner will receive a cash prize of Rs. 5000/-
- 2nd prize winners will receive a cash prize of Rs. 4000/-
- 3rd prize winner will receive a cash prize of Rs. 3000/-
This competition offers a chance to the students have their writing skills reviewed by Charak’s senior editor. The winning articles will also be uploaded to the student site and even on the blog page of Charak Pharma website.
We urge and request you to continue participating in Charak students’ online activities.
Terms and conditions of participating in the “Article Writing Contest”
- Register on student.charak.com if not registered
- Post your article at “[email protected]”
- The article must consist of the contents and style as mentioned below:
- Article should be in blog format
- Word count – minimum 500 and maximum 800
- Content should be relevant to the topic selected
- The content must be in English
- The article must in “Word doc”
- The article should be original work and not a plagiarism
- Research articles will not be considered as Articles
Tips on writing the article:
- For this contest, we are looking for health-related articles based on the topics suggested. Writers have to express his/her ideas and expertise on the subject. The article should be original work and not a copy paste. The article should be in simple, easy to understand language for common people.
- The article must begin with an intro paragraph with definition, statistics, prevalence, facts, focus and attention-grabbing points.
- The next paragraph (section) must elaborately include findings, causes, risk factors and the core reason for the relevant condition/title of the topic/indication
- The third section must include current treatment options for the given condition/title of the topic/indication
- In the final section, enlist/mention the useful herbs and minerals for the management of the given condition/title of the topic/indication.
- Finally, conclude with your opinion, analysis, and comments on the topic.
Before sending, please proofread your article.
[fruitful_tabs type=”vertical” width=”100%” fit=”false”]
[fruitful_tab title=”IMPORTANCE OF “AGRYA” DRAVYAS IN CLINICAL PRACTICE “]
IMPORTANCE OF “AGRYA” DRAVYAS IN CLINICAL PRACTICE
Author – Dr. Shraddha Rajendra Bhujbal
PG Scholar, Dravyaguna vidnyan,
Tilak Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Pune
The main aim of Ayurveda is to prevent the disease and maintain the health. Bhishak, Dravya, Upasthata and Rugna are the four Chatushpaad of Chikitsa. Proper Dravya yojana is very important in the treatment of any disease. In Ayurveda Ekal Dravya yojana is explained in some conditions and is found to be very important while treating different diseases and conditions. Agrya Aushadhis are one of the important blessings of Acharyas to all the physicians. Charak Sutrasthan 25 includes 155 agrya aushadhi and Ashtang Hrudaya Uttarsthan includes 55 agrya aushadhis.
“Agrya shabdah: shreshthavachanah | Shreshthasya iti prashastasya lakshanam ||” As explained by Chakrapani in his commentary the word Agrya shows the efficacy of dravya. All agrya aushadhi are based on its quality.
All these agrya aushadhis mentioned can be classified in different criterias as follows
- Agrya aushadhi related to Ahar and Vihar= ex. Mansa Brumhaniyanam, Upawas Jwaraharanam
- Agrya aushadhi as single drug for single disease=ex. Vidang Krumighnanam, Khadir Kushthaghnanam
- Agrya aushadhi for single drug for more than one condition = ex. Musta Sangrahik Deepaniya Pachaniyanaam, Erandamoolam Vrushya Vaataharanaam
- Agrya aushadhi as a hetu of some conditions/ disease= ex. Atimatrashanam Daurbalyakaranaam,
- Agrya aushadhi as a preventive aspect= ex. Kaalbhojanam Aarigyakaranaam, Vishado Rogavardhananaam
- Agrya aushadhi of Panchakarma= ex. Trivruta Sukhavirechananaam, Apamarga Shirovirechananaam
- Agrya aushadhi for Doshas= ex. Ghruta Vaatpittaharanaam, Kulattha Amlapittajanananaam
- Agrya aushadhi for panchakarma procedure= ex. Vaman Kaphaharanaam, Basti Vaatharanaam
- Some special Agrya which are useful in social aspects as Sadvachanam Anushtheyanaam, Tadvidhya sambhasha Buddhivardhananaam, Saumanasya Garbhajanananaam etc.
All these Agrya aushadhis are the potent drugs of that disease or condition.
Ex. Vidang is explained as agrya dravya for Krumi. According to Ayurvedic samprapti Krumi are produced due to Kleda i.e. Increased Pruthvi and Aapa mahabhuta. It happens due to Agnimandya and Apachita aahar. Vidang being Katu, Kashaya rasa, Lagh , Ruksha guna, Ushna veerya removes excessive kleda, Increases the agni and Prevents the formation of Krumi.
According to modern science it has been proved that ethanolic extract of seeds of Embelia ribes exhibits potent anti-helminthic activity. Tannins the secondary metabolites in it interfere with energy generation in helminth parasite by uncoupling oxidative phosphorylation or bind to the glycoprotein on the cuticle of the parasite and causes death. It’s a potent remedy for tapeworms. It not only reduces intestinal worms but also useful in all microbial infections.
Practical application of Agrya dravyas
- To find the Hetu of a Vyadhi
While taking the history of patients in case taking, many a times we get to know the hetu of Vyadhi with the help of Agrya. Ex. If a person is consuming a single rasa drug for long time it leads to weakness as ‘Ekrasabhyaso daurbalyakaranaam’.
Wrong food habits of todays era leads to many diseases and is well described through different agryas as Atimatrashanam Aampradoshahetunaam, Vishamashanam agnivaishamyakaranaam etc.
- In treatment of a disease
Some dravyas explained for a single vyadhi or a group of conditions are found to be very effective. Many researches are done on Vishaghna karma of Shirisha, Vaathara karma of Rasna etc. Agrya like Rasa tarpaniyannam, Ksheera jeevaniyanaam can be used according to condition of the patients independently or in the form of Anupaan of the medicine.
- To suggest pathya and Apathyakara aahar and vihar to patient
As Vishado rogavardhananaaam it is the first duty of physician to remove the fear of disease from patient’s mind. Patient should be properly consulted and guided. Maasha shleshmapittajananaaam hence patient should be asked to stop the use of it in the diet if he is having predominance of shlemapittaja symptoms.
- To decide the sadhyasadhytva of a vyadhi
Agryas like Vruddho Yapyanaam, Garbhashalya Aharyanaam are suggestive of the sadhyasadhyaatva of the condition.
- Other applications
Agrya like Saumanasya garbhajanananaam is found to be very useful while treating patients of unexplained infertility. Modern science has also explained the concept of psychological equilibrium of sex which explained by Ayurveda over the years.
Agryas like Bramhacharya Aayushyanaam, Paradarabhigamanam anayushyanaam, Mithyayogo vyadhikaranaam are explained from the social point of view. So agrya aushadhi are not only suggestive of physical health but also explains the social health.
Vaagbhatokta Agrya dravya contribution
Vaagbhat has explained some best dravyas in agrya which are not mentioned by Charak such as Meheshu Dhatri Nisha, Pleehamaye Pippali, Triphala guggulu Vrane, Kase Nidigdhika, Lashunam prabhanjanam etc. All these drugs are found to be most potent choice in that particular condition and are very popularly used in the practices.
Agrya dravya is the best gift given by Acharyas. These drugs are easily available, cost effective and potent. So it’s the duty of physician to use this precious knowledge for the betterment of mankind. And last but not the least is “AYURVEDO AMRUTANAAM”.
[fruitful_tab title=”AGNI VICHARA IN METABOLIC DISORDER LIKE DIABETES MELLITUS, OBESITY “]
AGNI VICHARA IN METABOLIC DISORDER LIKE DIABETES MELLITUS, OBESITY
Author – Dr. Gupteswar Mishra
Final year BAMS,
Gopabandhu Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, VIP Road, Puri, Odisha
The agni resides in grahani (grahani term related with pancreas , 2nd part of duodenum ) where the main metabolism occur ,the digested food are pass down to large intestine (the role of apana vayu) and undigested food are digest by agni.
Vidhi-virahita annasevana lead to agnivaisamya.
Metabolic syndrome / syndrome X – cluster of disease contain at least 3 of the following disorder abdominal obesity, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high serum TG, low HDL.
Incidence – In India
33.5% of population, out of which 24.9% male, 42.3% female affected.
Oldage female after menopause more affected.
- Genetic Factor (Veejaswabhavat-Ch.Su.-21/4)
- Sedentary Life Style ( Deevaswapna,Avyayama-Ch.Su.-21/4)
- Female Gender
- >40 Year Age
- Hypertension Patient(Atichintanat-Ch. Su-21/4)
- Prediabetic Patient
- Tobacco Addictor
- Alcoholic (BarunichaAtisevanat- Ch.Vi-5/16)
- Diet (Guru,Madhur,Shita,SnigdhaAharaSevana-Ch. Su-21/4)
When there is agnivaisamya then there will be disorder “Roga sarvepi mandagnau…” (A.Hru.Chi)
The metabolic disorder leads to different disorder namely
- Insulin resistance
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- Inflammatory changes
- Haemodynamic change
- Increase estrogen
- Sleep disorder
Subject– अभोजानादजीर्णातिभोजनाविषमाशनात् |
Due to faulty dietary habit like fasting, taking of food without proper urges of eating, taking apthyaahara, asatmyaahara, ama forming ahara, faulty sansarjana karma, food not taken according to desa, kala,rutu, i.e intake of dadhi at night will vitiated kapha due to srotarodha at night will be more .Which lead to improper digestion of food, dusita anna rasa will be formed, which is just like toxin to the body hence various disorder will occur.
Metabolic syndrome is self-inflammatory disorder which is accelerated by development of abdominal fat.
Pathogenesis of Metabolic Syndrome Samprapti of SantarpanajaVyadhi ( Ch.Su-21/05-08)
|Fructose Rich Diet, Disturbed Sleep, Stress, Genetic
Increase abdominal fat
Increase plasma TNF alfa
Stimulate cytokine secreation
GLUT-2 Receptor Chronic Inflamation
Blunt Incretin Effect Artherosclerosis
Polydypsia, Impaired Hypertension
|गुरु, मधुर, शीत, स्निग्ध Ahara, अव्यायम, दिवास्वप्न, चिंतनात, बीजस्वभावात
मेद स्विन्न अतिमात्र
कोष्ठगत वायु अतिवृद्धि (समान वायु)
When there will be agnivaisamya then more santarpanajanya vyadhi occur where there will be indriyasrosamlepa. ( insulin resistance)
Due to insulin resistance
- Liver- Gluconeogenesis decrease
Glycogen synthesis increase
- Striated muscle – Glycogen intake increase
Glycogen synthesis increase
Protein synthesis increase
- Adipose tissue- Glucose level increase
Hence there will be central obesity, the inflammatory cascade continue, development of type 2 DM , Artheosclerosis, Stroke.
Action of agni –
When food is ingested pranavayu brings it to kostha ,where the kledaka kapha separates the food particle then samanavayu kinyle jataragni.
Hence the food particle will be converted into ahara rasa, then swabhutaagni will act on it, then according dhatwaagni will digest the food. Hence the rasa bhaga will give posana to dhatu and body sustain and the kittavaga will be excreated, the saravaga will be transported to the target part by action of vyanavayu.
- Sodhana chikitsha-
- Vamana :- As meda vrudhi is there the kleda of sarira is increase when kapha guna inside the body aggravated hence vamana is the best treatment, use of lekhana ghruta like Varunadi ghruta,for sneha pana and use of Triphala (medaghna) , Yasti kasaya for vamana will be more beneficial.
- Virechana- The treatment of agni-vayu upadrava can be treated with virechana, agni will vitiate the pitta, hence virechana with lekhana and tikta dravya,sneha pana, the virecana done by Triphala kasaya pana, Trivrit avaleha, both act as lekhana of meda dhatu.
- Lekhana vasti- the drugs use in lekhana vasti is kapha hara, and meda hara, best treatment for santarpana vyadhi .
- Rakta mokshana- Due to agni vaisamya there will be pitta vikruti, the complication of agni like artherosclerosis, varicose veins, Jalouka therapy will act as anti-coagulant and best pitta samaka.
- Samana chikitsha-
- Swedana- Swedana have action of kleda vidruthi, hence there will be more lypolysis, decrease central obesity.
Samana medicine –
- Bruhatpanchamulakwatha + madhu
- Agnimanthaswarasa+ madhu
- Use of tubarakarasayana , sliajaturasyana
Purana Sali, sastika, yava, godhuma, mudga, madhu, patola, adraka, Luke warm water
Vyayama, yoga, asana
Dadhi, anupamamsa, kurchika, kilata, navaanna, gudavikruti, cold water Chestadwesa, dwibaswapna .
From the above discussion it can be concluded that the santarpanan janya vyadhi / metabolic syndrome like obesity, type 2 DM are due to agni vaisamya and hence the agni chikitsha is important.
[fruitful_tab title=”ROLE AND RELEVANCE OF MEDHYA RASAYANA DURING EXAM DAYS “]
ROLE AND RELEVANCE OF MEDHYA RASAYANA DURING EXAM DAYS
Author – Dr. Rajeshwari Pavithran
1st Year Scholar, Department of Shalya Tantra,
KVG Ayurveda Medical College, Sullia, Karnataka
Gopabandhu Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, VIP Road, Puri, Odisha
Medhya rasayana are considered to be those which promote the intellect of an individual, and intellect, which includes Dhi (understanding capacity/cognition), Dhrthi (courage), Smrithi (memory), is defined mainly on this basis.
The median IQ for Indians has been notoriously difficult to pin down because of its mixed races. So considering Richard Lynn’s estimate the median IQ of Indians in the country of India is 82(2009 statistics) but the value varies when the same settled in US or Britain. A test conducted of school children using the cognitive assessment test, scores an average of 90.42 in Britain and 110.84 in US.
Not going to technicalities of IQ test by different organizations we have only 1% of the population having IQ greater than110 at present. But since time immemorial Indians were always been good at mathematics and research field. We provided one of the most brilliant minds like Aryabhatta, Ramanujam, JC Bose etc but the velocity of intellectual capability has decreased or it might have turned to a different area, when it comes to those residing in the present nation.
The knowledge from ancient scientific geniuses provides us with a variety of ways which can help a human to unleash his limits of intellectual potential.
Because of lifestyle, low nutrient food habits and with the intervention of gadgets average thinking capacity has decreased and decreasing day by day.
This puts interest on the use of therapeutics to enhance the mental faculty which helps the betterment of individual and thereby the nation.
Being a country which is well known for education, examination on every area of life is effectively increasing stress on a person especially on the age group of 15-25.
Usually a student in this age group has to attend different exams, the ability to understand, memory, and the analysis of the subject of study is necessary for them.
A well-defined mind is a serene mind and it functions in a better way.
In the west use of nootropics has a rapid growth and its demand is increasing greatly. Survey suggests that 20-30% of college students have used cognitive enhancers in their life time in countries like Germany and US.
Why there is such a great demand on these drugs?
- As a study aid-
Smart drugs used widely by students, have trouble keeping up with study, so these provide better learning capability, enhanced memory, focus, motivation and attention needed for long periods.
- Work and business
- To cope up social anxiety
Some functions as potent anti-oxidants and neutralizes free radicals which relives stress.
But these chemical supplements possess potential side effects such as anxiety, insomnia, depression, headache etc
Here the role of Ayurvedic drugs has a great impact. We have a variety of drugs which boosts the intellectual capability of a person without such side effects as that of synthetic chemicals.
The mode of action of medhya rasayana is by
1) Providing a state of calmness
2) Improving the physiological conditions of brain and body
The main drugs on this category are mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), sankhapushpi (Convolvulous pluricaulis), guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra).
These drugs when taken in proper method tend to produce the desired medhya effect.
Some other drugs are ghee, amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica), which are easily available and prolonged use improves the functions of brain drastically.
Commonly used in practice is brahmi rasayana where brahmi (Bacopa moneri) is the main drug.
During the time of examination intake of these drugs put the mind and body in a serene state which helps in easy understanding or grasping of the topics. Also these drugs help the individual to focus prolonged time which is essential to complete topics fast. Gold etc has also been scientifically proved to enhance the brain function.
The role of Achara rasayana (codes and conduct) such as proper sleep pattern, diets etc also play a key role to act as Medhya rasayana during exam times.
Even though with the use of all these potent drugs, the grasping and memory can be enhanced but the analytical ability is improved only when they follow techniques such as Satata adhyayana (repeated study), Vada (debates), Paratantra avalokana (comparing and understanding other sciences), Tatvidya (discussion) etc is adopted.
All these factors are in the group of Medya Rasayana and inculcating all these together surely promote the intellect and also a strong mind and body during the time of exam.